Monday, August 30, 2010

Laura and her boring aura


I am starting to believe I should watch films randomly. Because, just because a film is loved by a billion of smart movie lovers, it doesn't mean I'll like it.

That is the case with Laura.

Allow me this way of explaining my feelings on the film:

* I liked the mood (though the music was too much at times when I didn't feel there was a reason)

* Many good/great lines

* Some good performances

* Intriguing mystery

* Nice to look at

-----

* Gene Tierney's performance: Mediocre

* At the end, I didn't care about what would happen



Are we supposed to buy that all these men couldn't resist to falling for Laura? Why? Because she is pretty and naive? And what about the detective? How did he know that? And how did she know from the beginning that he had fallen for her? She's naive after all!

But it's not just that. Is she supposed to be a symbol of "pure good"? I mean, she is an emotional slut. She falls and rises for and from anyone.

Judith Anderson's character, at some point, tells Laura that Shelby is weak and that's why he doesn't belong with Laura, who is... not? I'm sorry but, how is she not weak?

And yes, a naive, pretty girl can be a magnet. But not when it's portayed in a way as uninteresting as in this case.

Ultimately, I think, my problem was that I would be more interested in the film only if all these guys were nuts for a (naive or not, pretty or not) girl that had something that yelled "you don't see me everyday".

Maybe the girl is irrelevant. Maybe the point is to observe these men. Just believe that they had their reasons to feel the way they did. It was rewarding to watch them but I really needed to see a strong motive and I didn't. Waldo's world was rocked because of that girl??

He might disagree with me but she was a dame. I guess that is a bad word. I wouldn't use it if it created any connection between her and La Dench.


6/10

(I'm open to debate and I didn't want to sound a snob. I really wanted to love the movie. OK, I couldn't resist to my idea for the title :p)

2 comments:

  1. I've got to agree with you. Sure, Gene Tierney's probably the most beautiful classic actress, well, of them all, but I found the movie deeply boring as well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say that I found the whole movie boring but her performance was, for me, a crucial element that didn't really captivate me.

    But please tell me you don't think she's more beautiful than Grace Kelly!! ;)

    ReplyDelete