Thursday, April 29, 2010

How can I say this?



I watched Une affaire de femmes recently and I didn't like it. The problem is, I don't know exactly why. I liked Huppert's performance and I thought the script was decent. I think my problem is the direction but what exactly?

I really hate it when this happens. If I had liked it, it would be easy for me to explain why. I thought the subject was very interesting. Each character had unique qualities and it was fascinating to watch them displaying them. The movie didn't take anyone's side. It let us think for ourselves. Blah blah blah.

The above comments are more or less true, but still, I didn't like the film. I didn't think it had anything artistic in it, I thought the rythme was weird and I thought it was lifeless and a little bored. I was watching things happening but I didn't feel that any of that mattered. It's kind of like watching a meaningless action movie and this movie certainly didn't intend to be something like that.

I guess I did explain why I didn't like the movie but I would like to know how to be a little more convincing, as subjective as art may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment